15 things many people do not know about Mrs Florence Ajimobi
1.Mrs Florence Ajimobi was born in Benin City on the 5th of April, 1959, to the Hajaig family of Lebanon, but she grew up in the ancient city of Ibadan.
2. She is a graduate of Secretarial Studies and Management from The Polytechnic Ibadan.
3. She got married to Abiola Ajimobi in 1980, and the marriage is blessed with five successful children – Abisola, Ajilola, Ajibola, Abolaji, and Abimbola.
4. She possesses a Doctoral degree in a management science. On the 12th of October, 2017, she was conferred with a PhD in Public Administration by the Ajayi Crowther University, Oyo.
5. She became the First Lady of Oyo state in 2011 when her husband, Senator Abiola Ajimobi, won the gubernatorial election – a position she’s been adjudged to have brought a lot of professionalism and colour to.
6. She championed and chaperoned the idea of bringing the wives of public office holders in Oyo State together under the aegis of Oyo State Officials’ Wives Association (OYSOWA), a platform she had made to become an intellectual hub where women and women-centric issues are recognized and discussed. Participants, (numbering over 1000 at the last edition), converge from across the nation and the African continent for the annual OYSOWA summit, which has been successfully staged for 6 straight years.
7. She is the mind behind the Ajumose Food Basket, a program that gives food items to a number of people across the 33 local government areas of Oyo state on a monthly basis.
8. She founded the Access to Basic Medical Care (ABC) Foundation, which set up an easy-access to medical care centre. This foundation was recently adjudged the Most Outstanding NGO in the South West by the House of Representatives.
9. She is also the mind behind the “Educate A Rural Child” project – providing educational materials for indigent children in Oyo state.
10. Florence Ajimobi is a strong believer in the power of prayer. She leads the women in the state to intercede for their homes, the state and the nation at large through the women’s prayer gathering called, Women Intercessory Network (WIN). The platform does not only serve as an intercessory avenue, but also serves as a homely oasis where women are counseled and guided in making better decisions that will positively impact their homes and the society.
11. She is the Yèyé Ààré of Ibadanland – a title conferred on her by the Olubadan of Ibadanland, Oba Saliu Adetunji, on the 16th of December, 2016.
12. In honour of her 58th birthday in 2017, Mrs Florence Ajimobi donated a fully-equipped ICT centre to the Ajayi Crowther University, Oyo.
13. Amongst several other laurels and awards, Florence Ajimobi is an awardee of the Nigerian Institute of Public Relations (NIPR) for professionalism and excellence.
14. To mark her 59th birthday anniversary this year 2018, Florence Ajimobi presented gifts and undisclosed cash gifts to 10 orphanages within Oyo state.
15. Her husband, Governor Abiola Ajimobi, fondly calls her his Masterpiece of Nature (MON), to the allure of many.
59 happy cheers to an Amazonian woman who has made exemplary strides for herself and stood firm beside her husband in the restoration, transformation and repositioning mandate for Oyo state.
Text : Sayo Aluko
Photos : Tolani Alli